06/07/2014

DeadAstronaut's Chasm Reverb


This is really a great sounding reverb designed by DeadAstronaut at diystompboxes. Go to the original thread to learn more about it. This has a couple of features not usually found in a reverb as buffered bypass with tails and feedback oscillation switch. It also has a unique mix control where you have to adjust the volume control depending on the mix to match effect/bypass volume.

I drew my own veroboard layout and built it with a medium belton brick, but with the decay and oscillation controls you can achieve a lot of depth effect.

This is how it looks at my first atemp doing a silverburst painting.





This is my verified layout. In the revised version added the need to ground PIN 2 and PIN 4 of the brick and removed and unnecessary cut.



14 comments:

  1. HI!
    Congratulations for this work ! And thank you to give he veroboard circuit !
    I don't understand how to wiring on/off 3pdt footswitch. It does not appear on your circuit and box. Help me please!
    Chears

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This effect does not use a 3PDT footswitch. It uses buffered bypass with fet switching and the only footswitch you need is the DPDT shown in the layout. Connect the IN and OUT wires of the board directly to the jacks.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hello ! One more question.
      Rings of straight 1n4148 are they on top for both ?

      Delete
  3. Yes, both have the ring on top

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you !
    Why are 2n5457's not corresponding to veroboard on your gutshot ? any fault ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used 2N5952 which have different pinout (just flip it). The FETs are used for switching between bypass and ON states, so you can use almost any N-FET as long as you mind the pinout: 2N5457, J201, 2N5952, J113. I suggest you to socket them and try what you have at hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok. I use 2n5457 socketed. Mine don't work. Perhaps faults in offboard wiring. I see pin 2 and pin 4 of belton are connected. Where are they connected?
    I use a 3pdt switch for dpdt. I just wired de 2nd and third column. So, can I send you gutshots to help me please ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, I forgot to put them on the layout, PIN2 and PIN4 should connect to ground.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just checking...layout claims 36 cuts, but i'm counting only 35. is there a cut missing somewhere? or is 35 cuts correct? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Does anyone have a bill of materials?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am very happy to discover your post as it will become on top in my collection of favorite blogs to visit. Reverb Caluculator

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is included in my habit that I often visit blogs in my free time, so after landing on your blog. I have thoroughly impressed with it and decided to take out some precious time to visit it again and again. Thanks. gastrointestinal disease

    ReplyDelete
  12. I built this today. It sounds very cool. Thought I’d mention that there appear to be 35 cuts, not 36. In case someone else is confused. Thanks for the layout. Great reverb. Oh and I used a 78L05 and a long version of the brick as specified by Dead Astronaut. Thnx

    ReplyDelete