25/07/2013

How do you get the DIY fever? (MusicMan Stingray 2-band Preamp)

I wanted a Stingray for cheap, so I bought an SBMM Ray4. I knew before buying that the preamp wasn't any good.


I needed a real Stingray preamp and I found the way to get one, building it myself. Bajaman at freestompboxes.org traced the schematic of the original MusicMan design.


UncleFluffy at talkbass.com started a thread where he offers the PCB's for anyone interested. He even uploaded his Eagle Cad files, and this is how I got my boards. I sent the files to Oshpark.com and received this.


After populating the components it looks like this.


I also shielded the control cavity.


Installed new knobs.


And my bass became alive, it now sounds really musical and has the sound I wanted. I still want to replace the pickup but that will come later.

And this is how I got the DIY fever. Once I have bought all the tools to mount my preamp the only thing I needed to build a pedal was to buy the components.



6 comments:

  1. Does OSHPark still have your files? I want to order a board to populate and I don't want to etch my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to share it as I didn't designed it. I used the eagle .brd files posted by UncleFluffy in the thread linked which you can upload directly to oshpark.

      Delete
  2. I've built several of these. the schematic is wrong. the output cap is 10uf not 1uf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello,
    a lot of time is passed. I'm looking for a blank PCB, do you have one left?
    Thanks in advace.
    Guglielmo
    Italy

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you happen to have the egal files still?

    ReplyDelete